Sunday, 26 July 2026

Constantine, "The Lady of Atlantis"

Congratulations to Constantine, MA Creative Writing graduate, who has just published his new children's novel The Lady of Atlantis!



Constantine is an autistic author and father. He achieved a first-class BA at Middlesex University in 2017 and completed his Master's Degree at the University of Leicester in 2022. Between the two degrees he wrote four episodes of the Children's TV show Pablo and has written and published the picture book Tiya and the Minotaur and The Cats of Charnwood Forest and its sequel Jötunheim. He runs the not-for-profit publishers Coalville C.A.N. Community Publishers

 



About The Lady of Atlantis, by Constantine
Sa‑ra has always heard the voices. On Thira, that makes her a priestess. But as the mountain stirs and the earth convulses, she realises the truth: her world is running out of time.

The Lady of Atlantis is a vivid retelling of Atlantis, not as myth but as living history. It is inspired by the archaeology of Akrotiri and the author’s own translations of Minoan writings.

You can read more about The Lady of Atlantis on the publisher's website here. Below, you can read a sample from the opening of the novel. 


From The Lady of Atlantis
I was about eleven when I first was asked to pa-pa-ra-te.*
 
A young woman from Akrotiri came to the palace in great distress. It appeared she carried a great burden in her mind. For she was wealthy, even by Therian standards, where it was the custom for women to be the heads of households and to hold the purse strings.

Being both wealthy and not unlovely to behold, there were men in plenty wishing to court her. Two in particular caught her eye. One was a hard-working fisherman. He was kind and pious, the years at sea had roughened his skin, and at first glance perhaps, he was certainly not what the fashion of Thira saw as "beautiful." However, he was not "unlovely," he had a sparkle in his eye and a wit which was hard not to become enamoured with. Indeed, I had seen this man, and he reminded me of my father. No greater praise could I give

The other man had recently returned from the games on Crete. Where it is said he bought Thira much honour.

He was handsome and well-knit in frame, being an athlete. He was a good man by all reports. But he was vain, caring more for his own looks, and it seemed that women in plenty flocked to him and were enamoured of him.

She wished for me to take the vapours and tell her who she should marry.

"You do not need the vapours," I said. "You already know."

"But I am in great doubt," she said. "Can you not help ease the burden?"

 It seemed strange to me that having to choose between two good men to be a burden. 

 "You desire children," I said. It was a statement, but she nodded.

"Close your eyes," I said. "Picture yourself in bed. A priestess hands you your first child. You look up into the face of your husband ... Who is it?"

Her face betrayed her shock, and then she smiled, knowing truly where her heart lay.

"I do not prophesy for good or ill," I said, "for marriage is the work of two people, and there will always be hardships unknown and joys unlooked for. But if he wants you as you him, you will both be happy."

In time, she married her choice, it was the athlete, for though he was vain, he was not conceited. Whilst he sought fame, being a good husband and a role model for his children was his first concern; and he had eyes for this woman from when they were youths. 


*This meant "to let the goddess’s radiance speak through you." Over time, this idea became the word prophecy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment